Saturday, September 27, 2014

A big Scare

Ok, to catch you up.....I have been feeling tingling, burning and pain in my feet, legs and joints for about six weeks now.  I have been to three Dr's, had LOTS of blood tests drawn and no answers yet. My first tests came back high in inflammation, and ANA (which is a test for Lupus).  Went to a Rhuematogolist and  he tested for Lupus with more deep blood tests and they came back negative.  Yippee!!  
Then on Friday last week, the numbness/tingling feeling woke me up about a half an hour before the alarm was to go off.  It was more severe pain.  I usually can get the feeling to not be so painful by getting up out of bed, so I tried.  I could stand, but couldn't take a "normal" step.  I grabbed onto the dresser so that I wouldn't fall, and Larry got up to help.  Long story short, I could kind of drag my feet to take a step, after a lot of concentration, and if that wasn't scary enough, I couldn't empty my bladder, even though it was full from the night before.  Larry got the children off to school, and grabbed a neighbor and they carried me to the car and we headed to the ER.  They ruled out stroke,  did an MRI, ruled out MS, and tumors.  Then they did a spinal tap which ruled out many other auto-immune diseases.   It was great that I didn't have these horrible things, but they couldn't tell me what I did have.  
After these many expensive tests, and an overnight stay, the Neurologist, and Internist both agreed that I had a severe case of neuropathy  and it has caused partial paralysis. The cause-unknown.
I was able to walk with the aide of a walker, late Friday night, and by Sat. afternoon, walking very slowly, by myself.  I have been off of work for three days, and resting.  Everyday am feeling better.  I hope to return to work before the week is out, even if it with light duties.
I am still on the medication I have been on for weeks, for the the neuropathy (which just means nerve pain and damage).  It helps, but doesn't fully take it away.
Many tears have been shed, many prayers have been offered, and blessings given, and I feel grateful for those.  It was very scary, and it continues  to be frustrating that I haven't been given definite answers, but as the Dr's mentioned, I wouldn't want the diseases they were testing me for.  The partial paralysis could come back, maybe, maybe not. I go to the Neurologist in three weeks. Until then, I am carrying on......   

No comments: