Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What I Have Learned in my 44 years...

I am sure I won't remember every single thing I have learned, but here is a small sampling....

That good chocolate CAN help almost anything and that I can bite my tongue once in a while. I have learned that General Conferences are amazing! I have learned to try to give people the benefit of doubt and that the room I feel the Spirit the strongest, is in the Primary Room! I have learned that you cannot choose your children's friends, or who they date; that one makes many acquaintances, and very few dear, close friends....that having a child with diabetes is very tough; that losing weight after I turn 40 is very difficult! I have learned that I receive great joy caring for children--all children, the "special" ones, and the teen-age ones, and all in between. I have learned that dogs can survive just fine with only three legs. I have learned that I cannot get enough of Jane Austen and there is no limit of how many times I can watch Pride and Prejudice. I have learned how special it is to be loved by a righteous and good husband! I have learned not to frequently use a credit card....to bloom wherever I am planted, and to serve wherever I am, even if it is not in my "comfort zone". I have learned that sisters are a forever friend! I have learned that it is much easier to move somewhere when you are LDS! I also learned that children grow up very fast, and to try to cherish the time you have with them. I have learned that you always place a plate underneath meat that you are defrosting! I've learned that you have to be patient when potty training! I have learned that the older you are, the less you tolerate high humidity! I have learned that you never stop worrying about your children, no matter how old they become. I have learned that sometimes your childhood memories can be off--a little. I have learned that going on a pioneer trek is an once in a lifetime experience, and that long hot baths are very relaxing! I have learned that taking deep breaths, and counting can really help me calm down....and that you cannot substitute peanut oil for vegetable oil in most recipes. I learned to count carbs and that afternoon naps are a treat! I have learned that the scriptures hold all the answers and reading them can bring so much peace and to try to focus on positive thoughts. I have learned to enjoy good books, and to write in my journal. I have learned that grandchildren are the best gift we have been given! I have learned so much from my wonderful children! I have learned that this country is a beautiful place! I learned that children need consistency and boundaries, and that if you threaten, or promise, adults need to keep their word! I learned how to run a successful in-home-day-care. I quickly learned that a son is SO different than a daughter! I have learned that this life is suppose to be a challenge, or a test, and that even if our prayers are righteous desires, that sometimes, they won't be answered the way we want. This is what I can think of tonight. I wonder what is waiting for me to learn in the next 44 years?

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Those ALL sound pretty good to me. You're ahead of me and I've had two more birthdays!

Kelli Olsen said...

Happy Birthday!

bnichole said...

I really enjoyed reading that. One year older and wiser too....Happy Birthday. Love you.