Tuesday, August 28, 2012

First Day of School (drama?)

So I was able to get more hours at work so that we can have health insurance.  Let me back up, June 1, Larry was told at work, that his position was one of four going to "be dissolved".  He could try to transfer to another dept., but there was no management positions at his level available.  He accepted the severance package they offered him and we were, sadly, once again in the job search market.    My desperate prayers were offered to be blessed with a job offer immediately and be able to stay here in the Boise area.  I DID NOT want to move and leave this area!!!!  I am totally overwhelmed and humbled that our prayers were quickly answered, and he was offered a job here in Meridian, but it didn't offer any health insurance.  Larry is going back in the the elder care field, as a Director of Client Services at an estate law firm.  This law firm had just canceled their health plan due to incredible premium hikes.  So the health insurance fell onto my shoulders, and I am very grateful that I we have this option.  (BTW---Larry is really liking his new job.)

Move forward to the first official day of this school year.  I have put in about three days already, but the kids started today.  As grateful as I am to provide the necessity of health insurance for our family, I have also dreaded working the longer hours, especially when I found out that I wouldn't be home to greet my children when they walk in from the school day.  They will actually get home 45 minutes sooner than I will as their middle school gets out earlier than my elementary school does.  I tried my hardest to talk my principal into allowing me to come in earlier, but it wouldn't work.

So with much dread, and a few tears, we started today.  I thought I had it all planned--Bikes ready, supplies delivered already to school, children up, fed, and dressed in great clothes.  Off they went for a great day of school.  Well, I hadn't gotten that check-in phone from them that they were home, safe and practicing their piano or starting their home-work (I can dream, right?).  About 20 minutes later, I got the phone call that Josh's bike had a flat and he had to carry it home, and even worse yet, they didn't have a key to get into the house.  ARGGG!!!!With all my great planning, I had forgotten to give them a key!!! 

Enter my super-hero!!!  Larry to the rescue and was able to leave work and got home and saved the day.  He is even going to repair the bike tire!  And we got a house key for Josh, and a spare for a hidden one so that this will NOT happen again. 

A few more tears was shed today. (I struggle with a lot of Mom-guilt.) I still feel strongly that I would rather be home for my children, but am trying to focus on I am grateful for helping our family and I have always believed in doing what I need to do---and right now, this is what I need to do.


This is a long post, but I will include the cute first day of school pictures, too!  And they had a GREAT day, until they left school......

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Just keep swimmin'....just keep swimmin'....just keep swimmin', swimmin', swimmin....

bnichole said...

You need to add some first day pics!